So im sure most of you have noticed IG’s newest feature, “Reels”. If you are not yet familiar with it, let me start with a quick overview of what you can expect when using this feature.
Reels allow you to create 15 second videos and share them with other IG users. It shows up on a dedicated “reel” feed on the explore page.
As I explained in my previous post understanding how the IG algorithm works, IG rewards users who attract other users to the platform and those who encourage users to spend as much time on the platform as possible. So currently as its trying to push its newest Reels feature, instagram is “rewarding” those accounts that are using reels, by featuring them to more users hence increasing users exposure. This is a great way to grow your account following and engagement (rate). So trying to use the feature and create /share content that resonates with your followers /niche is a great way to gain momentum on IG.
Reels offer really great options to create and edit your videos, incl. music, special effects, text etc. The objective is to entertain people and these tools are fantastic to create just that – entertaining content for your existing and new followers. Reels are shared to the explore page but you can also share it on your feed and as a story.
So how exactly do you create and share them? Personally I found it quite daunting at first but once you try it, and actually see the content you are able to create, it can be really fun.
- To create a reel, tap on the plus (+) button at the top right of the screen in the IG app.
- Tap on “reel” and you will open up the reels screen where you can record your video or you can choose to upload an existing video from your phone.
- once you have recorded or selected your video, you can now do the fun bits:) Add effects. The various options for effects you can add to your reel is on the left of the screen. You can select to add music/audio, choose the speed and add effects (filters). ps. If recording a video, you also have the self timer option where the effects are located, which is brilliant for those of us recording our own videos.
- While recording a video, you can stop the recording at any time and start another mini clip. When you’re done recording you can use the align button, (its the last button under the effects buttons, just below the timer button). The align button allows you to line up your various clips that you recorded, to form 1 reel. Im sure many of you have seen the now famous “changing clothes” videos that many creators on IG are posting. This align option is great to create that type of content where you are in one outfit and with a snap of the finger or a quick jump on the spot, you are in your full glam. You can create makeup tutorial style videos, add friends, hair tutorials etc, the options are limitless. And that’s what makes Reels so exciting. It gives you the option of creating your own creative content with endless possibilities of how to do that.
- Once your video editing is done, you are ready to share your reel with the world. To post, push “>” button at bottom right of the screen. This will allow you to then add a caption and your hashtags (make sure to follow the blog for upcoming post on importance of hashtags, how to choose them and all that good stuff:)) Before posting you can also choose if you would also like your reel being shared on your feed and/or to your stories. As you will see in the example (pic) below, instagram automatically selects for your reel to be shared on your feed as well but you can choose to turn that off simply by clicking “also share to feed” button. Once you have done that, simply hit “share” at the bottom centre of screen.
Yay, congrats your first reels has now been posted. Most important thing to remember is to try and be consistent (I know I say this all the time, but it is key), create engaging content and HAVE FUN. People can sense and are drawn to people who enjoy what they do and are passionate about it so find you passion, you niche and have a blast!